Top 4 Best Mack Dump Trucks
One of the leading truck brands in the world is Mack. The company has a reputation for manufacturing tough work trucks. With durable construction, functional design, and reliable performance, Mack dump trucks are considered legendary machines. They can tackle any dumping tasks, day in and day out.
Mack Trucks is a Volvo-owned company in North America. Founded in the 1900s, they now sell and service around 30 countries all over the world. Recently, the company made a big impact with their Mack Anthem HE+ Package. This is the most efficient fuel engine Mack has ever built. The Mack Anthem HE+ Package represents a 13% fuel savings for the long-haul with the greatest performance of 445 HP, 900 RPM, and 1860 lb.-ft. torque.
As a trucking industry forum noted, semi-trucks spent around $70,000 in fuel every year. So, for dump truck operators, Mack dump trucks really make a lot of money. The other 3 best dump truck models of Mack are the Mack Defense, Mack Granite, and Mack Pinnacle. Let’s look at the basics about these top 4 dump trucks from Mack.
The Mack Anthem Series are Class 8 trucks with long hoods and fenders. They are designed as highway semi-trucks boosting fuel efficiency. Such a series was introduced in 1980 and remains in production until 2020.
In 2019, a new generation of anthem dump trucks started using cameras and radars for blind spot warnings, emergency braking, and lane departures.
Mack Anthem Engines
Mack Anthem dump trucks are available in 4 engines. Mack Anthem MP7, MP8, and MP8HE all run in diesel, while Mack Anthem Cummins Westport ISX12N runs in natural gas.
- The Mack MP7 dump truck has a 659 cubic inches overhead camera for easy dumping. It is a 6-cylinder diesel engine that develops 325 to 425 hp and 1260 to 1560 lbs.-ft. torque.
- The Mack MP8 dump truck has a 783 cubic inches overhead camera for easy dumping. It is also a 6-cylinder diesel engine that develops 434 to 505 hp and 1460 to 1760 lbs.-ft. torque.
- The Mack MP8HE dump truck also has a 783 cubic inches overhead camera for easy dumping. It is also a 6-cylinder diesel engine that develops 434 to 505 hp and 1460 to 1760 lbs.-ft. torque. It is a different variant of the Mack MP8 dump truck by having a mechanical drive behind the exhaust stream to allow renewable heat energy for better fuel efficiency.
- The Mack Cummins Westport ISX12N has a 762 cubic inches overhead camera for easy dumping. It is also a 6-cylinder diesel engine that develops 400 hp and 1450 lbs.-ft. torque.
All Mack Anthem dump trucks are turbo-charged producing 25x more power at lower fuel consumption. They can carry a total load of 62,000 to 80,000 pounds.
Mack Defense Dump Truck
The Mack Defense Series are rigid trucks designed for the specific needs of the armed forces. They offer military forces the capability of transporting logistic supplies on tactical missions. Mack Defense dump trucks can be configured with additional applications like radar, tanker, troop carrier, and wrecker. Its engine cab isolators and mount reduce noise and vibration to reduce driver fatigue. It also has a high frame rail around 300 mm and a high-strength steel alloy for payload capabilities. A full channel liner gives the Mack Defense dump truck optimal strength.
The most commercially available Mack Defense dump truck model is the M917A3. This dump truck is engineered as a tactical vehicle with unparalleled capabilities like the US Army, the reason why it’s called a heavy dump truck (HDT). Its 18 cubic yard dump can haul a payload of up to 27 tons. The M917A3 dump truck has an airlift ability and a 2-person cab. It is compatible with a JP8 diesel engine and is equipped with a front-drive, high-ground clearance, tandem or tridem axles, and a transfer case on its AWD.
Mack Granite Dump Truck
The Mack Granite Series are Class 8 service trucks with high visibility. It was introduced in 2012 and remains available in 2020. The Mack Granite dump truck can be configured as a day cab or sleeper. It measures 117.5 inches from the bumper to the back of the cab.
Mack Granite Engines
A Mack Granite can be powered by a Cummins ISL9 diesel engine or a Cummins Westport L9N natural gas engine.
- The Cummins ISL9 dump truck has a 543 cubic inches overhead camera for easy dumping. It is a 6-cylinder diesel engine that develops 350 hp and 1115 lbs.-ft. torque.
- The Cummins Westport L9N dump truck also has a 543 cubic inches overhead camera for easy dumping. It is a 6-cylinder diesel engine that develops 329 hp and 1000 lbs.-ft. torque.
Both engines of the Mack Granite dump trucks can be fitted with front axles, extended trailing axles, and a tandem steer lift. They can carry a payload of up to 92,000 pounds when using 4 axles.
Mack Pinnacle Dump Truck
The Mack Pinnacle Series are Class 8 long-hood conventional semi-trucks introduced in 2006. They are initially marketed as highway tractors. With a front-axle configuration, Mack Pinnacle dump trucks spread the payloads evenly to maximize them. They are also more stable because they offer a low center of gravity. Their chassis frame rails also support heavy loads even on rugged terrains. The chassis’ clean wheel cut offers quick maneuvering even on high ground clearances.
For comfort among truck drivers, the Mack Pinnacle dump truck houses easy-to-reach controls, premium seating, and a spacious cab. Overall, Mack Pinnacle offers a durable and reliable dump truck for regional hauls. It delivers the same fuel efficiency, performance, and power just like the Mack Anthem and Mack Defense series.